From "Browning, Jamie" <Jamie.Brown...@catlin.com>
Subject RE: Forward references in marker element throws NPE
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:30:47 GMT
Andreas

Thanks again for your clear response.

If there is any way in which I can positively influence the decision to
include this patch then I would like to do so.

I am currently employed in a financial services (Insurance) company in
the UK, where we are undertaking an upgrade of our use of FOP from
version 0.20.5 to 0.94 (or 0.95 depending on likely release date).
Unfortunately this bug is a real show-stopper as we have to preserve
existing documents. In the Insurance industry it is vital to be able to
vary elements (in this case document footers) based on the
content/position of the page within the document. In many cases there is
a legal requirement for certain company details to appear on certain
pages.

The way we are currently doing this is through the use of the <marker>
element. Unfortunately in most cases the document footer must also
contain pagination details (e.g. Page 1 of 10) and it is this feature
that has regressed in 0.94/5.

I am sure that there is alternative way to achieve this and for new
documents that is no problem. Refactoring existing documents is much
more of a pain and more time-consuming (cost).

Jamie Browning
theFrame Programme
Phone: +44 (0)20 7015 0981