From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: How do I add subscripts dynamically ? Guru needed...
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:23:27 GMT
On Jul 3, 2008, at 10:42, knoxor wrote:

Hi

> At the minute the <sup> tag is simply a html tag embedded into a text
> string.
> e.g "this is the body of text that has x<sup>2</sup> embedded in it"
>
> The xml for this is (statement and statementbody are xml nodes
> created in my
> application)

> <statement>
>    <statementbody>this is the body of text that has x<sup>2</sup>

> embedded
> in it</statementbody>
> <statement>

If it looks like this, it should be recognized by the XML parser as a
separate element-node.
In SAX-terms, the parser would report something like:

startElement('statement')
   characters('&#x0A;    ')
   startElement('statementBody')
     characters('this is the body of text that has x')
     startElement('sup')
       characters('2')
     endElement('sup')
     characters(' embedded&#x0A;in it')
   endElement('statementBody')
   characters('&#x0A;')
endElement('statement')

This means that the code I gave should work, if implemented correctly.

If you use XSLT-code like in your original example:

<xsl:value-of select="statement" />

This would simply return the text-value of the statement-element.

If the <sup> tag would be bare character data, at least the less-than
sign would appear escaped as '&lt;', or the entire <sup> tag would be
contained in a CDATA section.

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas