From Jay Berkenbilt <...@ql.org>
Subject Re: Transparent Text
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:20:09 GMT
Duncan McGregor <duncan@oneeyedmen.com> wrote:

> Thank you
>
> At present the text-behind-image trick is doing it for me, but when I
> find its limitations I'll look into potentially patching fop.
>
> Cheers
>
> Duncan

If you use white on white behind the image, you may be fine, but when
I went down the path years ago (when writing an application to do what
you're doing), I found that there were all sorts of refresh anomalies
and cases where the text was momentarily visible.  Eventually, I got
my hands on a hidden text PDF generated by one of Adobe's products and
decoded the content streams to find the Tr operator, which is
described in the PDF specification.  Surely xsl-fo isn't going to
support that though.  Anyway, good luck, and I'm glad you have a
solution that's working for you.  I just wanted to make sure the
thread contained the fact that this text rendering operator was there
since I went down this path myself in the past. :-)

--Jay