From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Type 1 Custom Fonts problems in Postscript
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:54:48 GMT
On 12.03.2009 15:47:24 craigb321 wrote:

>  Hi,
> I am trying to produce PDF and postscript output from XSL:FO using FOP 0.95
> - and I need to include some custom fonts.
>  The custom fonts are true type currently - and I guessed they needed
> converting to Type1 before they would work with PostScript.> I converted
> them to .PFA / .PFB + .AFM files using ttf2pt1, and updated the FOP config
> file for both PDF and Postscript renderers sections to look in the directory
> where these live.
>
>  The PDF picks up the new fonts and they work fine ... (so I am guessing the
> conversion worked ok).
>  The PostScript runs through FOP with no errors, but the output of the new
> fonts is all spaces or characters like ! ( " ) .
>  I am wondering if I need to run PFMReader to try and generate the XML
> metrics file ?? , but I don't have PFM files ...

But you got an AFM, right? Since you're using FOP 0.95, you don't need
to create an XML metrics file.

I've just tried out ttf2pt1 (never used it before). It turns out that by
default, it generates AFM files with "EncodingScheme FontSpecific". That
could explain the wrong characters. However, I've tested with FOP Trunk
which works fine with this AFM (as I've taught FOP a few things about
AFMs since 0.95). But I've only tested with one single font. Others may
not work.

I've used "ttf2pt1 -a -b <ttf-file>". Using "-l adobestd" didn't have an
effect on the AFM which smells like a bug.

Anyway, I suggest you try FOP Trunk (from the Subversion repository):
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk

>  Also, when I have tried to execute PFMReader through MS Dos, it has
> returned a ClassNotFoundException.

Probably a mistake on the classpath, but PFMReader shouldn't really be
necessary (and will probably also not help at all).

>  I would be really grateful for any thoughts !!
> Thanks,
> Craig

Jeremias Maerki