From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Index and Pagenumbers
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:42:03 GMT
On 05 Mar 2009, at 11:30, Georg Datterl wrote:

Hi Georg

> In my case, I don't need the index before the pages are created (and
> as far as I understood, other implementations of this feature only
> relayout the index pages, leaving empty pages, if too many lines are
> cleaned). And I don't mind implementing a FOP1.1 feature, but I do
> feel a bit like Frodo in Rivendell when reading the specification.

:-) Who doesn't? Even the fop-devs who have been here from the start
still get that experience every once in a while, although you do get
used to the wording and the vagueness over time.

> For example, according to the specification, what should happen if
> two referenced block following each other are in the same page-
> sequence as the index and after the index and at the beginning of a
> new page? When merging, one block would move to the previous page,
> therefore the page number would change, therefore no merging, so the
> block moves back one page, then the numbers could be merged, but the
> the block would move again. I think I'm getting a headache.

Well, actually, the problem exists for regular page-number-citations
as well, although the chances of that happening are obviously much
smaller. A page-number-citation that turns out to be longer than the
space reserved for it --the width of 3 'M' glyphs is what FOP
currently uses, IIC-- could, strictly speaking, change the line-layout
and so, the page-layout for that page and all following pages.

Regards

Andreas