From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Index and Pagenumbers
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 19:31:31 GMT
> For example, according to the specification, what should happen if
> two referenced block following each other are in the same page-
> sequence as the index and after the index and at the beginning of a
> new page? When merging, one block would move to the previous page,
> therefore the page number would change, therefore no merging, so the
> block moves back one page, then the numbers could be merged, but the
> the block would move again. I think I'm getting a headache.

Apart from my earlier remarks, note that I personally do not yet
consider merging to be a showstopper for a basic implementation. It
would already be pretty cool if we could get to the point where the
index just generates the sequence of page-numbers. Merging indeed
magnifies some of the issues, which are quite unavoidable with FOP's
current design.
Without merging, if we model the index to what PageNumberCitationLM
does, the reserved space will, in most cases, be larger than what is
actually needed. I think, if one would take the time to artificially
generate a first page-sequence with pages containing a lot of
citations pointing towards the end of the document, you would already
see side-effects to some extent. The actual page-numbers cannot be
resolved before the line-breaks are computed, so... and here I'm not
entirely certain. I have not yet run such test extensively myself.
I think that we would end up with lines that are too short. Very
visible to the naked eye in cases of justified alignment...

At any rate, the more citations in sequence, the more this issue is
magnified. We could end up with a block of citations, with a layout of
3 lines, but the actual content could have been put on a bit more than
one line.

The biggest obstacle remains: FOP does not revisit line-breaks. The
correction is done in the area tree, where the area corresponding to
the page-number is always a descendant of a line-area. I don't think
the effect you describe above could occur with the current design. The
result would rather be a set of line-areas with too little content.
The blocks would remain on the same pages, but they could turn out to
look rather ugly...

HTH!

Andreas