From Manuel Mall ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject RE: text-align "justify" with Japanese fonts
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 07:46:21 GMT
Maria,

justification in Fop is based around the notion of having an (elastic) space
between words (pretty much how justification works with Western languages in
your typical word processor). I assume in your text there are no spaces
between the characters and therefore Fop doesn't have anything it can
adjust. You may try and put a ZWSP (Unicode U+200B) between your Japanese
characters.

The actual XSL-FO specification is pretty vague when it comes to
justification. It just says: The actual justification algorithm used is user
agent and written language dependent.

Personally I have no idea what the usual typesetting conventions are when it
comes to justifying Eastern scripts and I assume that applies to the
majority of developers working on Fop and we would all love help in that
area.

Manuel

-----Original Message-----
From: Maria2009 [mailto:maria@shinoto.de]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 March 2009 4:18 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: text-align "justify" with Japanese fonts

Hello,

converting multilingual documents, I came across another problem with blocks
written in Japanese: they do no not print justified. I tried this with and
without font metrics file.

Does FOP not support justified print in Japanese (and Chinese, Korean?) or
is there something I am doing wrong?

I include a zip-archive with a small dummy text-xml, the fo-file and the PDF
outcome.

Thanks for any help!

Maria
http://www.nabble.com/file/p22449819/Archiv.zip Archiv.zip