From "Hamacher, Eric" <Eric_Hamac...@gallup.com>
Subject RE: Hello World not working
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:18:43 GMT
Thank you, I'll submit it when I can.

J.  ERIC  HAMACHER
Software Application Developer
608.664.3859
8476 Greenway Boulevard
Suite 100
Middleton, WI  53562
USA
GALLUP Technology

Achiever | Learner | Restorative | Intellection | Deliberative

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Delmelle [mailto:andreas.delmelle@telenet.be]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 12:36 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hello World not working

On 09 Mar 2009, at 16:57, Hamacher, Eric wrote:

> Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3
> Java 1.5.0_16 (used as JAVA_HOME and Path)
> Java 1.6.0_11 also present on system
> Fop  0.94
>
> Hello:
> The Hello World procedure on the Quick Start Guide page produces a
> preview with where many of the characters are written over each
> other and the spacing between letters appears to have, well,
> negative values (they partially overlap)!   I didn't find a similar
> problem mentioned in the FAQ.  I can't believe I'm the only one who
> has seen this!

You're probably the first to try rendering that particular example to
AWT Preview. I just tried this with FOP Trunk on Apple Java 1.5/Mac OS
X 10.5, and the output indeed looks very ugly... PDF output, which is
probably the most widely used, does not suffer from this issue.

Unfortunately no immediate idea on what the cause is. May be related
to the font-metrics (?)

If you want, please open a Bugzilla entry, so we don't lose track of it.

Thanks

Andreas

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments, if any, may contain confidential
and privileged material and are intended only for the person or entity to which the message
is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution, disclosure, or copying of this information is unauthorized and
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender immediately by reply e-mail, and destroy all copies of the original message.