From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: AW: Index and Pagenumbers
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:39:27 GMT
On 04 Mar 2009, at 14:56, Georg Datterl wrote:

Hi Georg

> Yes, postprocessing. I'm wondering, whether implementing the
> extension will be legally safe and easy enough to make it worth the
> performance gain.

To confirm Jeremias' preference: whether it is safe and/or easy is
only secondary.
We know that:
* XSL-FO 1.1 has indexing features. Implementing a proprietary
extension seems to be a slight waste of effort.
* I know of a few other users that are waiting for those features to
implemented

The better option here is to investigate what needs to be done to
implement the standard 1.1 features.

I once started gathering some thoughts on the topic, but didn't get
very far...
See: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FormattingObjectsForIndexing

By itself, the implementation of the 'index-key' property is not that
difficult. It is its treatment further on during layout/rendering that
will be a challenge.

If you're interested, I'll be glad to co-operate on this one.

Cheers

Andreas