From Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>
Subject issues with TTFReader
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 21:38:55 GMT
Hi,

I need to deliver PDF for all European languages using FOP (preferably)

I am testing on a windows machine, the eventual operation will be on
a Sun Solaris 10 machine.
And I have a bunch of questions

1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a font that covers all
the characters I will need. Currently I think that Arial Unicode MS
would suite best
I appreciate suggestions for alternatives

2. I am trying to use TTFReader to  generate the XML font metrics.
That doesn't seem to work

This is my command-line
java -cp
D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\build\fop.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\commons-io-1.3.1.jar

org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF arialuni.xml

This is the error message I get

Parsing font...
Reading C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF...
org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs
         at
org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.initAnsiWidths(TTFFile.java:444
)
         at org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.readFont(TTFFile.java:493)
         at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.loadTTF(TTFReader.java:209)
         at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:164)
org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs

         ... 4 more

Someone out there who can interprete this and give me advice on what is wrong?

3. Can I then use the .ttf and the font metrics on the solaris
machine, or do I need to find an alternative font an do some similar
actions again?

Are font metric files interchangeable? If someone generated the
metrics file for me, could I just reuse it... If yes, is there
somewhere a library of metrics files then?

Thansk for all the help you could give me

Geert