From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Getting PDF output to display Russian characters
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 18:55:29 GMT
On 05 May 2009, at 19:31, Richard Forrester wrote:

Hi
> I have files that I produce that are in other languages. However,
> when I try to publish in Russian, I get # sign instead of the
> Russian character. Is there an easy way to configure FOP so that it
> will produce those Russian characters. I can create text files and
> html files that display the characters, so they must be installed on
> my machine and the server. Here's my config file, could it be
> something in there?

First thing to check (no offense): is the configuration actually used?
I mean: just want to make sure that no one expects the config file to
be picked up automatically. The fop.xconf in the distribution is NOT
used, unless you tell FOP to use it.
(see: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/configuration.html#general-available)

If you're sure FOP is using the config-file, then try running with
debug output. (Make sure the log implementation is set to debug-level;
simply using the '-d' option is not enough)
FOP is known to choke on some TTF variants. Just because you have a
font available does not guarantee that FOP can handle it. Try locating
the physical font-file, and generate the metrics from it, manually. If
that doesn't work, that explains why the auto-detection code skips
processing the font.

HTH!

Andreas