From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: issues with TTFReader
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 10:13:26 GMT
Hi

Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Geert Bormans wrote:
>
> Hi,

>> I need to deliver PDF for all European languages using FOP (preferably)
>>
>> I am testing on a windows machine, the eventual operation will be on a
>> Sun Solaris 10 machine.
>> And I have a bunch of questions
>>
>> 1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a font that covers all
>> the characters I will need. Currently I think that Arial Unicode MS
>> would suite best
>> I appreciate suggestions for alternatives
>
> Arial Unicode MS does indeed have a good coverage of glyphs for most
> languages. I can't immediately think of any alternatives. You may find
> you are breaching the license of that font if you are planning on using
> it on a Solaris system however, as I believe it is included with MS
> Office. So technically you would need a license for MS Office for your
> Solaris environment in order to be able to use the font there.

Linux-based distributions provide a lot of fonts with varying coverage
of the Unicode standard. I can think of two of them, DejaVu and
FreeFont, but there are probably others.
http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/
There are also the STIX fonts:
http://www.aip.org/stixfonts/

All those fonts should have a more permissive license than Arial Unicode
MS, and provide a good coverage of all European languages.

<snip/>

HTH,
Vincent