From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using foreign characters without embedding font
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:11:23 GMT
Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Albrecht wrote:
> Hi,
> i am using fop 0.20.5 on Linux for generating PDF. Now i want to generate
> PDF in greek language. I specify font-family="Arial" in the fo and configure
> arial.ttf/.xml correctly in userconfig.xml. PDF is generated fine and every
> character is displayed as wished. Now when i try to print a PDF of about 50
> pages, the printer spooler blows up to 300MB and it takes about 20 Minutes
> to print the whole PDF.

Forget about the ancient 0.20.5 version and switch to the latest 0.95.
That one will embed only a subset of the font, which I’m not sure 0.20.5
could do, and should dramatically reduce the size of the PDF. Plus you
won’t have to manually generate XML font metrics any more.

> If i do not specify font-family="Arial", the PDF is generated with fong
> Helvetica and of course all foreign characters are shown as #, but printing
> goes as quick as the printer can.
>
> Can somehow use a font with the needed glyphs without getting it embedded in
> the PDF?

The above should be enough to reduce the memory usage of the printer. If
it’s not, then yes you can produce a PDF that will only reference the
font instead of embedding it. But then you need to ensure that the
printer has the font installed (the PDF will no longer be portable).
See here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#embedding

This works only with the Trunk version of FOP, though.

> Thanks in advance,
> Sebastian.

HTH,
Vincent