From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Auto Table Column Width
Date Thu, 28 May 2009 10:42:29 GMT
Hi Tobias,

Tobias Anstett [k15t.com] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please see my original question below. Furthermore I'd like to know if
> there are already approaches or ongoing development on this issue. Do
> you know how other FO processors capable of this feature have solved
> the problem. Would be nice if you can provide me additional
> information what happend so far or not - so maybe we can help and work
> on/contribute a solution in one of the next releases.

There is no ongoing work in that area at the moment, and nothing
planned. Furthermore, we are in the process of bringing major changes to
the layout engine in order to be able to handle pages of different
widths. So any work on the current code is likely to become obsolete
soon.

Like Sean said this is a complicated problem. CSS2 gives some
indications, but it remains to see how applicable they are when you take
everything into account (some columns having a set width, using
percentages to specify widths, fixed row heights, row and column
spans, page breaks, etc.). I suspect that a constraint satisfaction
problem might show up [1], or maybe something that can be solved with
the simplex algorithm [2].

At any rate, a theoretical study of the problem, without looking at any
code, would already be of great help. Things like studying the XSL-FO
Recommendation, trying to think of every situation that might occur,
looking at how web browsers behave, and gathering thoughts in a wiki
page [3]. If you want to give it a go, switch to the fop-dev mailing
list [4] to ask questions and share thoughts.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constraint_satisfaction_problem
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplex_algorithm
[3] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/DeveloperPages/
[4] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#mail-fop-dev