From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: issues with TTFReader
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 09:12:25 GMT
Geert Bormans wrote:

Hi,

> I need to deliver PDF for all European languages using FOP (preferably)
>
> I am testing on a windows machine, the eventual operation will be on a
> Sun Solaris 10 machine.
> And I have a bunch of questions
>
> 1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a font that covers all the
> characters I will need. Currently I think that Arial Unicode MS would
> suite best
> I appreciate suggestions for alternatives

Arial Unicode MS does indeed have a good coverage of glyphs for most
languages. I can't immediately think of any alternatives. You may find
you are breaching the license of that font if you are planning on using
it on a Solaris system however, as I believe it is included with MS
Office. So technically you would need a license for MS Office for your
Solaris environment in order to be able to use the font there.

> 2. I am trying to use TTFReader to  generate the XML font metrics. That
> doesn't seem to work

In FOP v0.95 and later you don't need to generate Font metrics. In fact
it is recommended that you don't generate the metrics as FOP is far more
intelligent about how it reads the Font when not using metrics in the
latest versions.

> This is my command-line
> java -cp
> D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\build\fop.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\commons-io-1.3.1.jar

> org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF
> arialuni.xml
>
> This is the error message I get

The error is a classpath error. Basically you are missing
xmlgraphics-commons-1.3.jar from the classpath above.

<snip/>

> 3. Can I then use the .ttf and the font metrics on the solaris machine,
> or do I need to find an alternative font an do some similar actions again?

As already mentioned you don't need the metrics file at all. Copying the
TTF to the Solaris machine will work but I believe you may be breaching
the terms of the MS Office license, although IANAL.

> Are font metric files interchangeable? If someone generated the metrics
> file for me, could I just reuse it... If yes, is there somewhere a
> library of metrics files then?

Yes you could but as I already explained they are no longer necessary.
So no, there is no library of metrics available.

Chris