From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Fop 0.95 Memory Leak fix?
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:19:52 GMT
On 23.07.2009 16:54:14 roos wrote:

> >>Depends on how much (if at all) it hurts you, but yes, there was a fix
> > after 0.95.
> >
> > It hurts me a lot, as fop doesn't seem to release approx. 400MB of memory
> > after it finished transforming.

Ouch.

> >>SVN snapshot, yes, compiled from SVN Trunk:
> >>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/trunk
> >
> > What svn version of it?

Just take the HEAD revision. We don't keep track of which revision we
build the snapshot from. Only at release time do we make a tag.

> >> retroweaver-2.0.6-patched.jar
> >> retroweaver-rt-2.0.6-patched.jar
> >>
> >> Will there be a fixed version (e.g. 0.95b) available which fixes the
> >> memory
> >> leak?
> >
> > I don't think so.

> >>I would oppose such a proposal due to the very bad experiences I've had
> with Maven in the past.
> > I switched your 0.95 svn tagged version to m2 here using the pom.xml of
> > the repo1 artifact and it simply works.
> >
> >>I suggest you ask on the Maven list how you can include project-local JAR
> files in your project. I would hope Maven is as flexible as they claim it
> is. ;-)
> >
> > I don't want to start a religous discussion here, but with Ant there is a
> > big problem with jar lib versioning.
> > If the jar library doesn't state it's version in the filename or the
> > manifest, you are hosed.
> > You see it currently with the jar's I mentioned above. Nobody (except
> > you?) know of what version they are.

Well, it doesn't matter so much to us (committers) while we are in
development. Things can change quickly. If a third-party needs updating
we update. Even if you work with Maven, you may have local snapshot
builds that you put in your local repository. You don't necessarily know
which revision this was built of. In our case, that JAR isn't put into a
repository but bundled with the rest of the sources. No external
repositories necessary to do a build. No disappointments when the
repository server is offline.

I guess what we could try is to include the SVN revision number in the
manifest. Batik does that if I remember correctly. We could do the same.
Maybe someone/I finds some time at some point.

Jeremias Maerki