From qnob <kuno.baeris...@elca.ch>
Subject Re: Arial True Type becomes italic in AWT
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:13:34 GMT

Hello,

here a few remarks and answers to the prior message  of Vincent.

Vincent Hennebert-2 wrote:
> font-family is overridden nowhere else.

I've tried to overwrite the default font-familiy, globally and locally.
Without success.

Vincent Hennebert-2 wrote:

> On my Linux system the file renders fine, using the Helvetica font since
> I don’t have Arial installed.

I couldn't reproduce the problem on Linux too. Helvetica font (not a
TrueType) works in both environments without any problem.

Vincent Hennebert-2 wrote:

> Do you have any warning about fonts not found?

No, there ist no warning.

Vincent Hennebert-2 wrote:

> What do you get if you specify Arial only as a font family?

This has no influence to the result. Helvetica is meant as fall back for the
PS renderer.

You can run the small attached program to get a list of all the fonts
available through Java AWT. Look at the first column (font family).
You might have to replace Arial with ArialMT.

The attached program works and shows my Arial fonts. I don't have
specifically installed ArialMT, however, in my understanding it seams to be
another name for Arial.

Here is the output of your programm:
family                      fontName                             name

PSName
Arial                        Arial                                    Arial

ArialMT

As a consequence, there are to possible workarounds:

 1. use non-TrueType fonts like Helvetica
 2. use Linux.

Thanks

Kuno