From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: how to embed Asian font while genrating PDF using FOP??
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 19:21:47 GMT
On 02 Jul 2009, at 20:02, Sumit4dreams wrote:

Hi Sumit

Apologies for the late follow-up...

> First of all thankyou for replying to my query.
> I am totally new to FOP so i dont know all the feature of FOP.
> I am using the latest FOP version.

> The current problem is that in my application we genrate a copyright
> pdf.
> This was working fine with English character. But now Chinese users
> have
> been included and for them the Chinese font get displayed as #.
> What we feel is that iif we can have unicode encoding then this
> problem in
> pdf genration will never come if any other language is used other than
> english langauage.

Not necessarily. FOP 0.95 does not yet support font-selection, so you
still have to take care that Arial Unicode always appears everywhere
as the first specified font-family.

If you have something like:

<fo:block font-family="Helvetica,Arial Unicode,GungSeo">

and the block contains Chinese text, the Helvetica font will be used,
and you will end up with the missing-glyph character '#' all over the
place, even if the 'Arial Unicode' and 'GungSeo' fonts have been
properly configured.

> So actaully i am looking for general solution to resolve any issue
> which can
> come with any international language

FOP Trunk does look at all the specified font-families, so FOP will
try all fonts for each word. It then picks the first font-family that
can display the most characters.
(see behavior described at: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#selection)

So, with FOP Trunk you should be able to happily mix English with
Chinese without really having to do anything special (apart from
making sure that the fonts are properly registered; see Chris' earlier
suggestions)

Regards,

Andreas

Andreas Delmelle