From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Area Tree Handling
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:27:50 GMT
On 10 Jul 2009, at 18:51, TomWilcox wrote:

Hi Tom

> <snip />
> Or even better, can anyone point me in the direction of any good
> tutorials/examples that show Java code using embedded FOP to
> generate an
> area tree object for an FO stream/file and then modify it with code..?

Most examples of using FOP in an embedded fashion are available in the
repository, see:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/

Since you're planning on using the intermediate Area Tree XML, you may
want to check if you can use FOP Trunk and go for the new Intermediate
XML (which offers significant advantages over the Area Tree XML).

If you're stuck with 0.95 for the moment, no worries, the Area Tree
XML will still be supported.

Examples on using the Area Tree can be found here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/atxml/

Examples on using the new IF, in the same base directory:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/intermediate/

IIC, then you may want to check if you can manipulate the Area Tree
XML by means of a stylesheet. That will facilitate writing the code,
since all you really need to do is insert an additional transformation
after producing the area tree.

The Area Tree XML format itself is undocumented, so you'll have to
study the output a bit before you will see how you can achieve the
desired result. If you run into questions, we'll be here to answer
them for you.

HTH, and Good luck!

Andreas

Andreas Delmelle