From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Type1 Font with Postscript Renderer
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:47:12 GMT
Hi Kuno,

qnob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there is already a similar thread about this issue, however, I've created a
> new one, since the other  seems to be mixed up with other issues.
>
> Anyway, I've been trying to configure a custom Type 1 font in order to
> support Arial font for the Postscript renderer. Though, I don't get it work.
> I use Ubuntu, SUN JDK 6 and FOP 0.95. By the way, I reproduced the same
> problem with the FOP trunk.
>
> First, I converted the TrueType Font:

<snip/>

>       [fop] Jul 13, 2009 8:42:37 AM
> org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder find
>       [fop] SEVERE: Unable to load font file:
> file:/usr/share/fonts/type1/converted-mscore-fonts/arial.pfb. Reason: No PFM
> file was found for
> file:/usr/share/fonts/type1/converted-mscore-fonts/arial.pfb

FOP 0.95 can’t read AFM files, so it needs to get the font metrics
through a PFM file. Maybe you can generate a PFM file instead of an AFM
one with your conversion utility.

FOP Trunk can read AFM files, so the above should work with it. I’ve
just tried with a Type 1 font and it correctly appears in the PostScript
file.

But, do you really need to convert the Arial font in the first place? Do
you use glyphs that aren’t available in the Helvetica clone provided
with any Linux system? (This is the Nimbus Sans L font, have a look at
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n019003l.{pfb,pfm,afm}.)

HTH,
Vincent