From Ming Yu <my600...@yahoo.com>
Subject xslt and xslfo
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:38:40 GMT

Hi,

I'm new to xslfo but I have been using xslt for a while. My question is, what is the best
practice to output xml to pdf? As far as I understand, those are the step involved:

1. xml -> xslfo through xslt
2. xslfo -> pdf through FOP

But when writing xsl for step 1, I have to put all the fo coding inside xsl for the formatting.
It seems to be very distracting.

If I know what data I want from the xml file and what design I want for the pdf output, is
it possible to build the fo file first and add the xsl piece later on? I saw that xmlspy provides
a tool to generate xsl:fo file from a design. Is this a good tool to use?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Ming