From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: How to make sure PDF ends with a fourth page?
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:09:55 GMT
Hi Georg

I don't think there's anything in XSL-FO that allows to force the number
of pages to a multiple of 4. There's just force-page-count on
fo:page-sequence to force it to a multiple of 2.

My suggestion is to do this on the area tree XML or intermediate format
level by injecting additional pre-generated pages as XML where necessary.
This as a post-processing step just before rendering the document to its
final format. A little bit of XSLT should do that nicely.

HTH

On 13.08.2009 09:43:46 Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Todays question is, how can I make sure, my PDF has a fixed number of pages?
>
> I have a publication with lots of page sequences. Can I define a page-sequence which
inserts as many pages as necessary to keep the total page count dividable by four? I am printing
catalogues and due to the printing process there are always four pages on one sheet. I can't
just add pages at the end of the PDF, since the last pages are (usually) cover pages. So somewhere
in the middle of the catalogue or in front of a chapter or before or after an index, basically
anywhere after a page-sequence, the user says: Insert up to three pages here, if necessary.
This pages are either blank or contain one background image (for examle lines, to create a
page for personal notes.)

> As a Plan B, can I create a page-sequence which does not create a page in my PDF? I want
a kind of marker in the fo file, so I can create the PDF, count the pages and then find the
marker and expand it into a page sequence with the appropriate number of pages to make sure
the pagecount is a multitude of 4.

> Plan C, of course, is an empty fo:block with a special id at the end of the previous
page sequence.

> Regards,
>
> Georg Datterl

Jeremias Maerki