From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: newFOP taking very long time
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:07:14 GMT
On 13 Aug 2009, at 06:11, dschu012 wrote:

Hi

> The problem is I want the user to be able to specify the font they
> want to
> use to render the PDF. This is very critical when it comes to
> rendering
> Asian fonts because the user needs to specify the font they want to
> use they
> can render the glyphs they need. After further investigation I think
> I found
> someone experiencing a similar problem as me here:
> http://www.nabble.com/using-newFOP-only-once-to12615351.html

Just noting: it is a known issue. Sometimes it leads to
OutOfMemoryErrors, in other cases, it may seem to take an unusually
long time to detect the fonts. If you use 'auto)detect' feature, FOP
scans a lot of possible directories, and processes ALL fonts available
in any of the 'conventional' locations for a given OS.

I'm wondering: if you run in an app-server context, you might just be
able to sidestep the issue by running one 'dummy' document at
application startup time. That way you are sure that the burden does
not fall on the first actual run... Otherwise, indeed, the first run
will always carry the burden of detecting all the available fonts,
while from the second run on, the FontCache will be used for that.

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Delmelle
mailto:andreas.delmelle.AT.telenet.be