From Ming Yu <my600...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: font configuration
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:30:09 GMT
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just configured my fop.xconf file by removing the metrics-url
attribute and the Arial font works.

But I still cannot make the "bold" work. Whenever I put bold into the font=, either warning
or SEVERE message will appear.

Do you have any idea how I can configure to make the bold (or the font-weight) work in the
shorthand representation?

Thanks a lot!

Ming

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 9:22:41 AM
Subject: Re: [!! SPAM]  Re: font configuration

Ming Yu wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Here is the strange thing.
>
> When I put the order as font="16pt bold arial", the FO engine gives this warning:
> WARNING: Font 'bold arial,normal,400' not found. Substituting with 'any,normal,400'.
>
> When I put the order as font="bold 16pt arial" , the FO engine gives the SEVERE error:
> SEVERE: Ignoring property: font="bold 16pt arial" (No conversion defined bold; property:'font')
>
> Even when I use individual tag as font-size="16pt" font-weight="bold" font-family="Arial",
FO engine also gives this warning:
> WARNING: Font 'Arial,normal,700' not found. Substituting with 'any,normal,700'.

At least with this warning FOP is looking for the Font you have
requested. With previous warnings FOP is not parsing the shorthand
property correctly.

> According to Apache's documentation, I need to generate the arial.xml file myself like
this:

The documentation is either wrong or you are looking at an older version
of the documentation. In 0.95 and higher it is not necessary to generate
a metrics file to use a custom font. You simply need to register the
Font with FOP by adding a line similar to below in fop.xconf file in the
section for the Renderer you are using:

       embed-url="file:///C:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf">

> java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar;lib\commons-logging.jar;lib\commons-io.jar
>           org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader [options]
>           C:\myfonts\cmr10.ttf ttfcm.xml
>
> I tried to run it but I got errors.
>
> Do you know how I can get the arial.xml file?
>
> Thanks a lot!

HTH,

Chris

> Ming

I upgraded to 0.95. Now the SEVERE error changes to a warning:

>>WARNING: Font 'bold Arial,normal,400' not found. Substituting with 'any,normal,400'.
>

> Strange... seems like the font-family is parsed as 'bold Arial'. This may need to be
looked into closer. Are you sure this is nowhere specified as such in the FO?

> A value like 'font="16pt bold Arial"' could lead to the above result.
> The right order is style/weight/variant, then size, then font-family, and font-family
names with spaces are supported, so formally there is nothing wrong with that value for the
shorthand, even though the order is mixed up.

>>Should I install the font myself somewhere? I'm using Eclipse as my IDE.
>>
>>I also have another question regarding empty table-cell. The following lines:
>>
>><fo:table-cell></fo:table-cell>
>><fo:table-cell border-right=".6pt solid black"></fo:table-cell>
>><fo:table-cell border-right=".6pt solid black" border-bottom=".6pt solid black"/>
>>
>>will produce the following error:
>>
>>fo:table-cell is missing child elements.
>>Required Content Model: marker* (%block;)+
>>
>>How can I allow empty cells?
>

> You can turn off strict validation(*), but that is not recommended, since it will skip
a lot of other validation rules as well, which could lead to unpredictable results and makes
your FO less portable to other implementations.