From "Martin Edge" <Martin.E...@asmorphic.net.au>
Subject RE: postscript sample - duplex/tray selection
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:52:04 GMT
Hey Jeremias,

No, no directly issue so far, the problem is I don't have an appropriate
printer within arms reach and I have to rely on my printer company for
testing, but you pretty much answered my question in regards to the
different printers different rules (that must make it fun for software?)

I have used the example to get the output in the PS file, then next trick is
investigating the intermediate format to see how it sits in there, then I
will try to apply my duplexing and tray tricks in the same fashion that I do
with PCL in the intermediate layer.

Thanks for the help - surely you're happy you finally got me to try
postscript :-)

Martin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:dev@jeremias-maerki.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, 15 September 2009 4:35 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: postscript sample - duplex/tray selection

Martin,
the example on the Wiki page [1] should work just fine. If not, they
need to be fixed. Did you run into any problems? AFAICT, the page covers
all the necessary details to make this work.

However, there is one caveat: There's no single way to do tray selection
in PostScript. HP printers usually work with tray numbers while
production printers usually work with a media map that is triggered
indirectly through hints in the dictionary set by the setpagedevice
command (ex. "/MediaType" or "/MediaColor" entries). You need to consult
the technical reference of the target printer to find out what approach
to use. It's almost impossible to give you a definitive guide to this at
least when we don't know what printers you work with.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

Concerning the limitations in PS output: SVG support is "limited"
because features such as transparency and gradients are not supported.
Some SVG features might result in black rectangles because of that.
Bitmaps are generally working fine.

On 15.09.2009 06:06:43 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>

> Have been working through my issues with postscript for tray selection and
> duplexing, and have read the PostScript extensions wiki and implemented
some
> of those suggestions in my FO file, but was wondering if anyone had a
> working example of tray selection and duplexing in a small postscript
> sample? Would save me a great deal of trial and error if I knew exactly
what
> codes I should be sending.
>

> If there is a reference document anyone knows about that I could read that
> might help, that'd be fantastic too.
>

> FYI for anyone curious on the font conversion front - I tried the ttf2pt1
> converter and at first try it didn't work, have used fontlabs font
converter
> from TTF -> Type 1 and that one seems to work marvellously, just costs a
few
> dollars.
>

> I notice there is comments that images and SVG's don't work that well in
> Postscript, can any one elaborate on 'not so well?'
>

> Thanks!
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki