From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: large image embedding problems
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 06:00:27 GMT
FOP currently produces PDF 1.4 so there's no support for JPEG 2000, yet.
One could (probably) add support for embedding undecoded JPEG 2000
images (JPXDecode) to FOP and add an option with which to control the
PDF version produced by FOP. Of course, that means digging into the
source code of FOP and XML Graphics Commons. I can give you pointers if
you decide to do that.

However, I haven't investigated if it's as simple as with JPEG to also
embed JPEG 2000 images. I mention that since I've once tried to get
undecoded PNG graphics directly into PDF. After all, the FlateDecode
filter supports about the same predictors as PNG but I couldn't make
this work in reasonable time. This just as a caveat.

On 11.09.2009 04:58:09 Bill Gamble wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> We are generating PDFs which are very graphic intensive. A typical PDF has
> 50 pages and has 4 4000x4000 images on a page, and the images can
> have transparency.
>
> We are using Batik for generating each page as an SVG file, and then
> referencing the SVG using the <fox:external-document when converting to PDF.
>
> We run into performance problems when the images embedded in the SVG file
> are anything but JPEGs. JPEGs are lighting fast and have a resulting pdf
> file size 10X smaller than any other format. Unfortunately the embedded
> images can have transparency, so standard JPEG format cannot be used, and
> all other file formats run into memory problems and generate enormous pdf
> files (300MB+).
>
> After finding that PDF has had support for JPXDecode (for JPEG 2000) since
> 1.5 I was hoping to find that JPEG 2000 could injected into the PDF without
> the need to decode the image, but that does not appear to be the case (we
> run into the same performance problems with JPEG 2000).
>
> Can anyone comment on:
>
> 1) Is this a limitation of the PDF format, or how FOP is rendering the PDF?
> 2) Any suggestions or other approaches that to how to solve our problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Jeremias Maerki