From "Georg Datterl" <georg.datt...@geneon.de>
Subject table column height mismatch? left column shorter than right column
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 16:01:45 GMT
Hi everybody,

This weeks funny guessing game deals with tables again. I found that problem earlier but until
now I was unable to create a sufficiently short and easy example. Please have a look at the
attached fo file.

In the file you will see a table with two columns and one row. The table background is red.

In the left column, there's only one block with some padding afterwards. The cell background
is blue, the block background green.
In the right column, you will find two blocks. The first block has a space afterwards and
a pink background color. The second block has an orange background color and contains a simple
table with one column, one header row and two data rows.
The pink and the orange block together are slightly higher than the green block.

So, what would we expect? I'd expect to see four colored blocks, left upper corner green from
the green block, right upper corner pink, right lower corner orange. The left lower corner
I'd expect to be blue, since the blue cell would extend below the green block to give a nice
rectangular shape.

Now run the attached fo file through the latest code from subversion and be surprised. The
left lower corner is blank. The complete table height is the height of the left column, not
the height of the right column.

Why? (Answer is worth 5pt)
How can I avoid that? (Answer is worth 15pt)
Is it fixable? (Answer is worth 10pt)
Can it be fixed this week? (Fix is worth 50pt, no problem if I have to apply it locally)
Why am I always running into such things? (Answer is worth 20pt, 200pt if I can use it verbatim
to get a pay rise)

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------