From Venkat Reddy <vanukuri.ven...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: AW: table column height mismatch? left column shorter than right column
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:14:29 GMT
Hi Georg,

I have just started my carrer 2 weeks back in FOP. I am trying to
understand the exact problem you are facing, so that I could learn few
things out of that. As per your reply, the keep-together attribute usage
is bad, because it will not solve your real time example.
I have also noted another point from your reply that you have a table
which will span more than one page, when you use keep-together attribute
on table will not solve your problem. I have managed to reproduce the
problem with longer table spanning into no. of pages, when I use
keep-together="always" on main table, only one page is being displayed.

Is that the same problem, you are facing with the tables spanning into
more than one page? I had used the keep-together attribute to keep the
content with in the table.

And, If you are facing same problem as I explained above with the table
spanning more than one page, then I had another solution use
keep-together attribute on the cell you think creating the problem. I am
attaching a sample where a table spanning into 2 pages, when I used the
keep-together="always" on the right cell, the problem has been resolved.
I have all the four blocks with background color visible on the table
and the table is spanned into 2 pages without any problem.

Hope I understood your problem, if not, could you please attach the same
FO file having problem with table spanning more than one page? so that I
will have a look at the problem again.

Thanks,
Venkat.

Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi Venkat, hi Pascal
>
> There are many ways to change the table and avoid the problem. I have publications with
thousands of tables and one of them is not working. I'd like a way to avoid the problem without
trial and error.

> Using a keep-together is bad, since the table may be larger than a page. Deleting a block
is only avoiding the problem in this special case, in the beginning there were many more blocks
and still it did not work. As soon as I brought the height of the left column nearly to the
height of the right column, the table went corrupt again, no matter how many blocks. But indeed,
I think I cut the table down to the lowest number of components necessary to show the problem.

> 2pts each.
>
> Georg Datterl
>
> ------ Kontakt ------
>
> Georg Datterl
>
> Geneon media solutions gmbh
> Gutenstetter Straße 8a
> 90449 Nürnberg
>
> HRB Nürnberg: 17193
> Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert
>
> Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
> Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20
>
> www.geneon.de

> Willmy Consult & Content GmbH:                 www.willmycc.de

Please check the fo file with this mail, slight change on main table.
> I am also attaching the AFP output file along with FO file.
>
> Thanks,
> Venkat.
>
> Georg Datterl wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> This weeks funny guessing game deals with tables again. I found that problem earlier
but until now I was unable to create a sufficiently short and easy example. Please have a
look at the attached fo file.

>> In the file you will see a table with two columns and one row. The table background
is red.

>> In the left column, there's only one block with some padding afterwards. The cell
background is blue, the block background green.
>> In the right column, you will find two blocks. The first block has a space afterwards
and a pink background color. The second block has an orange background color and contains
a simple table with one column, one header row and two data rows.
>> The pink and the orange block together are slightly higher than the green block.

>> So, what would we expect? I'd expect to see four colored blocks, left upper corner
green from the green block, right upper corner pink, right lower corner orange. The left lower
corner I'd expect to be blue, since the blue cell would extend below the green block to give
a nice rectangular shape.

>> Now run the attached fo file through the latest code from subversion and be surprised.
The left lower corner is blank. The complete table height is the height of the left column,
not the height of the right column.