From Bill Gamble <gam...@gmail.com>
Subject large image embedding problems
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 02:58:09 GMT
Hello Everyone,
We are generating PDFs which are very graphic intensive. A typical PDF has
50 pages and has 4 4000x4000 images on a page, and the images can
have transparency.

We are using Batik for generating each page as an SVG file, and then
referencing the SVG using the <fox:external-document when converting to PDF.

We run into performance problems when the images embedded in the SVG file
are anything but JPEGs. JPEGs are lighting fast and have a resulting pdf
file size 10X smaller than any other format. Unfortunately the embedded
images can have transparency, so standard JPEG format cannot be used, and
all other file formats run into memory problems and generate enormous pdf
files (300MB+).

After finding that PDF has had support for JPXDecode (for JPEG 2000) since
1.5 I was hoping to find that JPEG 2000 could injected into the PDF without
the need to decode the image, but that does not appear to be the case (we
run into the same performance problems with JPEG 2000).

Can anyone comment on:

1) Is this a limitation of the PDF format, or how FOP is rendering the PDF?
2) Any suggestions or other approaches that to how to solve our problem?

Thanks in advance!