From "Jill DeLong" <j...@optifacts.com>
Subject Printing Latin-2 characters
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:26:15 GMT
We have been using the fop to print out documents so far in English, French
and Swedish with no problems.  However, we now have a need to print in
Polish which uses characters in the ISO-8859-2 character set.  In the
documentation I've read so far for Fop, it says the -ps and -pdf probably do
not handle anything other than ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) as has seemed to be the
case so far - it prints # signs instead of the accented Polish characters.
The only solution I've found so far is to use the -print argument instead -
this uses the AWT library and, although font size for the line with the
Polish characters looks slightly different from the other lines, it works.
My problem is, however, that it does not seem to allow specifying which
printer to print to - it only allows the -print with no argument.  We would
need this to work for a multi-instance Linux server where the printers are
networked and some can be in Portugal and others in Poland - so we need to
be able to specify where the output will go.

Any suggestions?  Or is there an easier/better way to print these
characters?  We tried with UTF-8 but Fop's documentation says it does not
support the multi-byte characters yet.

Jill