From sudhir543-...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: AW: Zero width space is displayed as junk character [â€] in PDF
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:06:58 GMT
Hi,

<xsl:text>&#x20;</xsl:text> works for me too but not <xsl:text>&#x200B;</xsl:text>

I am using sans-serif fonts   <xsl:attribute name="font-family">sans-serif</xsl:attribute>

Any idea...

Thanks
SN

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught

________________________________
From: Tobias van Treeck <tvtreeck@nepatec.de>
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Sent: Fri, 6 November, 2009 7:01:50 PM
Subject: Re: AW: Zero width space is displayed as junk character [â€] in PDF

Hi,

>And why would I need UTF-8 to store "&#x200B;"
you would need UTF-8 because the sign you are using is unicode....

did you set the following line in your xsl file?
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

I also use for instance:
<xsl:text>&#x20;</xsl:text>

and it is working fine...
Regards,
ToM

2009/11/6 <sudhir543-dev@yahoo.com>

Files is saved with UTF-8 .. that doesnt solve problem.. a

>And why would I need UTF-8 to store "&#x200B;" other encoding would also handle it
correctly.. I have no special characters in my xsl that may need UTF-8.
>Any way.. it does not work with UTF-8 too
>>

>Thanks
>SN
>

>Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught

________________________________

if I open the fo file in XMLSpy. Have a look at your application and make sure it saves the
fo file with the same encoding you use for reading. Preferably UTF-8, I guess.

>Regards,
>
>Georg Datterl
>
>------ Kontakt ------
>
>Georg Datterl
>
>Geneon media solutions gmbh
>Gutenstetter Straße 8a
>90449
> Nürnberg
>
>HRB Nürnberg: 17193
>Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert
>
>Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
>Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20
>
>www.geneon.de
>
>Weitere Mitglieder der Willmy MediaGroup:
>
>IRS Integrated Realization Services GmbH:    www.irs-nbg.de
>Willmy PrintMedia GmbH:                            www.willmy.de
>Willmy Consult & Content GmbH:                www.willmycc.de

spaces (&#x200B; ) to the long string.. how ever Instead of breaking at zero width space..
it displays &#x200B; as a special character (â€) in PDF..

>Here's my xsl code that adds zero width spaces as required
>

><xsl:template name="hyphenate">
>    <xsl:param name="data" />
>    <xsl:param name="limit" select="'10'"/>
>>
>    <xsl:choose>
>        <xsl:when test="string-length($data) &lt; $limit">
>
>           <xsl:value-of  select="$data"/>
>        </xsl:when>
>        <xsl:otherwise>
>            <xsl:variable name="part" select="substring($data, 1, $limit)"/>
>>
>            <xsl:variable name="remaining" select="substring($data, $limit+1)"/>
>            <xsl:value-of select='concat($part, "&#x200B;")'/>
>            <xsl:call-template name="hyphenate">
>>
>                <xsl:with-param name="data" select="$remaining"/>
>                <xsl:with-param name="limit" select="$limit"/>
>            </xsl:call-template>
>
>        </xsl:otherwise>
>    </xsl:choose>
></xsl:template>
>

>Any ideas why is it happening ?
>
>Thanks
>SN
>

>Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught

>The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http://in.yahoo.com/>
.

 Try the new Yahoo! India Homepage. Click here.

      Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/connectmore