From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Type 1 encoding difference between FOP 0.94 and FOP 0.95
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 07:38:06 GMT
The changes between 0.94 and 0.95 can be reviewed here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/changes.html#Changes+to+the+Font+Subsystem-N1043E

0.95 added some functionality to handle additional characters available
in Type 1 fonts. I'm not aware of any serious bugs there. At least
things like umlauts should work. Are you still working with XML font
metrics files (generated by PFMReader)? If yes, try without.

There was some work after the 0.95 release to further improve Type 1
fonts. FOP Trunk can correctly handle all glyphs from a Type 1 font even
if the font contains more than 255 glyphs.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/changes.html#Changes+to+the+Font+Subsystem
So you may want to try the current FOP Trunk to see if this resolved
your problems if dropping the XML font metrics file doesn't help.

On 02.11.2009 20:24:30 fopaddict wrote:

> I have a lot of type 1 fonts that I want to use with FOP, thus I created the
> according font XML data with PFMReader. Everything works fine under FOP
> 0.94, even the non-standard characters like umlauts are coming up correctly
> in the PDF. (My XML data are all encoded as UTF-8.)
>
> When trying to generate the same PDF with FOP 0.95 instead, all special
> characters appear corrupted. For me it looks like that UTF-8 encoding is no
> more supported under 0.95 at least for type-1 fonts.
>
> Does anybody know what has changed between 0.94 and 0.95 concerning font
> encodings? Any idea what I can change in my definitions or elsewhere such
> that umlauts can be printed under 0.95 using type 1 fonts?

Jeremias Maerki