From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Use SVG group/element-id values as labels in pdf; SVG to PDF; FOP 0.95
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:44:12 GMT
Tobias,
I took a quick look. The example was maybe a bit simplistic to read
patterns from it: just one rectangle. Anyway, this is the content
stream:
/OC /MC0 BDC
0 0.576 0.886 0 k
0 0 0 1 K
4 M
/GS0 gs
200 153.63 -152.481 170.37 re
EMC

So Illustrator makes use of the /OC (optional content, a PDF 1.5 feature)
together with marked content. /MC0 is the identifier for the optional
content group and there's a Properties dictionary that assigns /OC the
/Name "NamedGroup1". I guess that's what you were looking for. It's also
pretty much the same mechanism I've seen Illustrator use for layers
which some people were after some time ago.

As I've said, I can only determine at this time what it is you're
looking for. FOP would need some changes to support that. It could also
be a bit tricky, since in PDFGraphics2D, we only get painting
instructions. At that point there's no more information on the "id"
attributes in SVG. I guess that would require some special Batik element
bridges to carry this information over to the PDF. Definitely not just a
two-day task.

HTH