From fopaddict <rich...@uttner.de>
Subject Re: FOP 0.95 problem with position=absolute
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:27:34 GMT

Chris,

cbowditch wrote:

> I suspect the extra space may be due to half leading on the inner block
> inside the block container. Try specifying line-height="0" on the inner
> block as that tells FOP not to place half leading around the text.
> Although that could lead to bad results if the the @text attribute has
> several lines of text.
> Chris

unfortunately your solution works ... I'm saying "unfortunately" because
this means that there are at least 2 bugs in FOP release 0.95. Let's watch
the results for 5 member cards (images rotated for saving display space).
First output is by FOP 0.94 without reduced line-space (in fact, it does not
matter if I specify any reasonable value up to text height):
http://old.nabble.com/file/p26349248/fop94.png
As we see, the cut marks being part of the image are perfectly joined
without any gap. Text position is reasonable, this is what I would expect.

Next we see the result for the same fo source under FOP 0.95:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p26349248/fop95.png
As it seems to me, FOP is not sure what effect the absolute text position
should have to the enclosing outer area. I would suggest that for some kind
of safety reason (preventing an overflow) FOP enlarges the outer area
vertically by line-height, though there is in fact no line break included in
the text. This is what I would call bug #1. The second bug is that the page
layout routine of FOP is not aware of the enlargement performed somewhere
"inside", thus the page border is overprinted in vertical direction.
(Actually the last image should be printed on the next page.)

Now the similar setup with line-height=0 as suggested by Chris:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p26349248/fop95_0ls.png
As we see, it almost works ... almost because line-height=0 leads to a
reduced space above of the text. When I check the distance it seems to me as
if the baseline of the characters printed is set to the absolute position
specified in the block container. Without line-height being reduced, the
baseline of the characters is about 2.5mm lower.

FOP developers are welcome to comment my assertions. (Attached zip file
contains executable example.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p26349248/fop095absoluteProblem.zip
fop095absoluteProblem.zip )
Richard