From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: embedding fonts fails for Cyrillic
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:47:00 GMT
Isabel Hofherr wrote:
> Hi,

<snip/>

> we want to generate PDFs with *Docbook* to get different language output
> (e.g. Cyrillic, Japanese and simplified Chinese).
> /Beginning with version 0.94 you can skip the generation of font metric
> files and remove the "font-metrics" attribute(?) in the font
> configuration. The font metrics files are, for the moment, still
> required if you use a TrueType Collection (*.ttc) and in that case you
> need to regenerate the font metrics file. /
>
> àWe only use a .ttf – but it didn’t worked without a font-metrics
> attribute. The body text always was displayed with pound signs(#).//

The hash symbol (#) indicates that the font does not contain the
requested glyph. It is not related to metrics files. I would expect the
same behaviour with or without a metrics file.

<snip/>

>                 /Unable to access jarfile
> lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar;lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;lib\commons-io-1.3.1.jar/
>
> When entering only the following:
>
> /java -cp build\fop.jar; -jar lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar/
>
> then this error message was displayed:
>
> /Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from/
> /lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar/
>
> / /
>
> / /
>
> Is it possible that this True Type Font doesn't contain the so-called
> Unicode "cmap" table? How can I check this?

You will have to use a Font Editor to verify the presence of the Unicode
CMAP table, but this is not what the error is saying. The error is a
classpath issue. I don't believe you require the metrics file, so no
point in debugging this further. Instead you need to find an alternative
font that does contain glyphs for the unicode characters in your XSL-FO
File. If you send your XSL-FO File and Font File we can offer more
specific advice.

> I’m not  so familiar with Java so please give me a hint how to solve
> this problems.

<snip/>

Chris