From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Incompatible VM exception for font Verdana.
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:53:28 GMT
Mascarenhas, Frandon (Infosys) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am hitting an Incompatible VM exception along with a
> java.nio.BufferOverflowException when printing a PDF in font Verdana in
> FOP 0.20.5

Ouch. Now > 6 years old! Getting support for 6 year old versions is
difficult from a commercial organization. So don't expect much from a
volunteer driven community. Why can't you upgrade to at least v0.95?

> The stack trace in FOP jar for this exception is as follows –
>
> Caused by org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingRuntimeException:
> Incompatible VM
>         at
> org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.getUnicodeString(PDFRenderer.java:836)
>         at
> org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderWordArea(PDFRenderer.java:791)
>         at org.apache.fop.layout.inline.WordArea.render(WordArea.java:68)
>         at

<snip/>

> Also at the end of the Stack trace the following exception an be seen
>
> Caused by: java.nio.BufferOverflowException
>         at java.nio.charset.CoderResult.throwException(CoderResult.java:259)
>         at
> java.lang.StringCoding$StringEncoder.encode(StringCoding.java:242)
>         at java.lang.StringCoding.encode(StringCoding.java:272)
>         at java.lang.String.getBytes(String.java:947)
>         at
> org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.getUnicodeString(PDFRenderer.java:824)

<snip/>

> This exception occurs on any JVM while the other ones work fine. On
> restarting the cluster same problem can be seen on some other JVM.

Do you mean one particular JVM (node) in the cluster fails, whilst the
other nodes in the cluster are fine but the node that fails can be
random? Do you have the same Fix Packs installed on all WAS nodes?

> If I change the font to serif this exception is resolved. The
> userconfig.xml file is in place on the WAS partition

<snip/>

Chris