From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Font substitution not working with docbook
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:48:56 GMT
Not sure what happens here. Normal font weight is usually "400", so I'm
not sure why you map this to 200. 300 might come up if there is a
"bolder" somewhere which increases the weight by 100. Since there's no
Arial,normal,300 FOP will fall back to sans-serif,normal,300 but doesn't
find that either. For the usual Arial, FOP will register the weights 400
(normal) and 700 (bold) during auto-detection. If you want more control
over what font weights are assigned to which font, you should use the
"font-triplet" elements where you can specify all the triplets you want.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#register

If what you want to do is simply getting Arial thinner, that's not
possible this way unless you have a special Arial font that provides
those thinner glyphs. Or you may have to use a different font that
provides more variants than Arial.

On 09.12.2009 09:46:00 i0dium wrote:

> I'm trying to make a pdf out of a docbook document, from an .fo file
> generated with Xalan. I would like to change the body font weight and i
> tried to make a font substitution in this way:
>
> <fop version="">
>   <fonts>
>     <substitutions>
>       <substitution>
>         <from font-family="Arial" font-weight="normal"/>
>         <to font-family="Arial" font-weight="200"/>
>       </substitution>
>     </substitutions>
>   </fonts>
> </fop>
>
> The body font family has been set to Arial in docbook style, but the font
> substitution is not working for some reason. I also get many warnings that
> 'sans-serif,normal,300' font is not found, maybe that has something to do
> with this problem.
>
> Best regards,
>  Jomppa

Jeremias Maerki