From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: again strange keeps
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:02:47 GMT
Hi Georg,

Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> You explanations sounds quite good, but if I replace the keeps "5" with "always", the
whole block, images and everything, move to the next page. Is that, because that's more "desireable"?

That’s because you use keep-with-next.within-page instead of
.within-column, and that has a side-effect on the table algorithm. In
short: .within-column forbids any block-level break whatsoever, whereas
.within-page only forbids page breaks. This is enough for the table
algorithm to build a different sequence of elements, and skip the
preferable break after the ‘TEST’ block. Replace your keep.within-page
with keep.within-column and you get the expected output.

> The present solution with the headre and the final, empty line on the next page is in
any case least desireable, because it looks ugly. Do you see a way to force the images and
two tables on the first page, the third table and image on the second page?

> Regards,
>
> Georg Datterl

HTH,
Vincent

PS: please, next time, could you try and simplify your FO document to
use more ‘regular’ dimensions? For example, a padding of 1.5pt instead
of 1.417pt, a space-after of 6pt instead of 5.669pt, etc. That would
ease the debugging a lot (provided you can still reproduce your problem,
of course). Thanks :-)

> ------ Kontakt ------
>
> Georg Datterl

> Geneon media solutions gmbh
> Gutenstetter Straße 8a
> 90449 Nürnberg
>
> HRB Nürnberg: 17193
> Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert
>
> Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
> Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20
>
> www.geneon.de

> Willmy Consult & Content GmbH:                 www.willmycc.de

case, the right column contains three short tables and one image. Since that's too much for
one page, fop inserts a break before the last line of the third table, overriding a keep-with-next.within-page="5".
Now I would have expected the keep at the red block with the "TEST"-Text, since this block
does not have any keeps, but obviously I'm missing something here. Can somebody help?

> Support for integer keeps is very limited at the moment. A break occurring within an
integer keep will simply be given maximum penalty in the hope that breaks at better places
(i.e., where keep has been left to
> auto) will be privileged. All integer values result into the same break penalty. In fact,
the current implementation supports only 3 keep
> values: auto, 'highly desirable', always.
>
> A break where keep is highly desirable may still be privileged over a break where keep
is auto if that leads to a better overall layout; for example, if breaking at auto places
would lead to half-empty pages whereas breaking at undesirable places would give full pages.
(This is not compliant with the Recommendation, for that matter.)

> In the present case, however, there is something else that comes into
> play: since the two images in the first column must be kept together, they make a big
unbreakable block. Therefore, the table algorithm will put as much content from the second
column as possible to match the height of the first one (the heuristic being that full tables
are more desirable). By doing that, it will skip the acceptable breaks after the TEST blocks,
and will end up with the less acceptable ones inside the inner tables.