From Gregory Buchenberger <gr...@eightfoldconsulting.com>
Subject Font substitution
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:10:35 GMT
Hello,

I am attempting to substitute Ghost Script fonts for the Base 14
fonts. My configuration file has the following section:

<substitutions>
    <substitution>
        <from font-family="Times"/>
        <to font-family="Nimbus Roman No9 L"/>
    </substitution>
    <substitution>
        <from font-family="Times" font-style="italic"/>
        <to font-family="Nimbus Roman No9 L" font-style="italic"/>
    </substitution>
    <substitution>
        <from font-family="Helvetica"/>
        <to font-family="Nimbus Sans L"/>
    </substitution>
    <substitution>
        <from font-family="Courier"/>
        <to font-family="Nimbus Mono L"/>
    </substitution>
    <substitution>
        <from font-family="Symbol"/>
        <to font-family="Standard Symbols L"/>
    </substitution>
    <substitution>
        <from font-family="ZapfDingbats"/>
        <to font-family="Dingbats"/>
    </substitution>
</substitutions>

The gsfonts are registering OK. Where I've used an explicit font it
gets embedded. Yet when FOP has to make a choice it still uses
Helvetica and doesn't embed the Nimbus font in it's place. What am I
missing in the configuration? Also, when I run FOP it always reports:

WARNING: Font "Symbol,normal,700" not found. Substituting with
"Symbol,normal,400".
Dec 22, 2009 12:00:29 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
WARNING: Font "ZapfDingbats,normal,700" not found. Substituting with
"ZapfDingbats,normal,400".

What are those fonts generally used for? Where might FOP need them?
Thanks ahead and Merry Christmas to you all.

Best Regards,

Gregory Buchenberger
Eightfold Consulting
www.eightfoldconsulting.com