From "Hu, Zemin" <Zemin...@adp.com>
Subject RE: Create damaged PDF file
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:11:52 GMT
Thanks for suggestions. Please understand the data definitely stays the same in between clicks.
Couple of concerns:
1. I did two steps PDF generation when I was at concept proof stage, I found the intermediate
fo file was huge and not useful, another reason is that it impairs performance. So I abandoned
doing that. I am not sure this helps due to the nature of the randomness of the error.
2. If I turn off validation, is it possible to cause more bad PDF generations? I am just speculating.

Thanks.

Zemin

-----Original Message-----
From: Pascal Sancho [mailto:pascal.sancho@takoma.fr]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 10:47 AM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Create damaged PDF file

Hi,

Hu, Zemin a écrit :
> I am using XML+XSLT combination as you indicated, but the error message is NOT consistent,
it may disappear on next run, so I don't know how to debug my template to be clean since it
is clean most of the time.

If the message disappears between 2 runs, that means that something has
changed in the XML source (or less probably in the XSLT).

A good practice here is to separate the full transformation into 2 stages:
1/ XSLT transformation (invoking Xalan directly, for example) and get
the XSL-FO file
2/ PDF generation, invoking FOP with the produced XSL-FO.

Benefits:
 - you can inspect (and reformat for better readability) the XSL-FO file
 - FOP can know the exact location where the error occurs, and send it
to you in the error message.
 - FOP list can help you more efficiently.

> Thanks for pointing out to me the configuration option, I was going to test, but after
reading document from your URL, I found it won't help in this case because the default value
for "strict-configuration" option is "false" already.

My bad, this option is for configuation file.
What I wanted to point to was the [strict-validation] option, witch
default to true.

> Zemin

when user clicks on a link. Occasionally the created PDF file cannot be opened and the error
message says: "File is damaged and could not be repaired".

>> When I read log file, I can find error message:
>> SystemErr     R (Location of error unknown)org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException:
Error(Unknown location): fo:table-row is missing child elements. Required Content Model: (table-cell+)

>> The weird thing is that this error only happens at first time or first few times,
then the PDF file generation goes fine. Then if user browses other pages and comes back, this
can happen again. This error is not consistent, sometimes everything is just fine. This is
really frustrating and hard to debug.

>> This never happened in my unit test and local environment. So I am thinking it might
be the cache issue or web server configuration issue. But I have no clue. This is tough one.

>> Any suggestions or solutions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Zemin

Pascal