From Abel Braaksma <abel.onl...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Looking for help, including consulting, with font selection
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:35:45 GMT
I'm under the impression that Benson means selection strategy based on
availability. Suppose the "A" is available in Candara, but the other
letters/symbols are not, and the needed font selection strategy is
"character by character" then the result must be similar to what you
wrote, but automatically so. According to
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#selection this is not
implemented yet.

Note that "auto" (which is implemented) means "the selection criterion
is implementation defined". For FOP that means (afaik) that word
boundaries and element boundaries work and that the "largest portion of
a text or word that's available in a particular font" will be chosen. In
the example above, the Gothic font will be used, because that has the
largest part of the word/text.

Changing to "character-by-character" means that each character is
considered individually.

Naturally, if Candara would contain all capital letters only, choosing
character-by-character in the following:

   <fo:inline  font-family="Caldara, 'Century
Gothic'">A=E3=81=82</fo:inline>

then the rendering with character-by-character would be equivalent with
the following:

   <fo:inline  font-family="Caldara">A</fo:inline>
   <fo:inline  font-family="'Century Gothic'">=</fo:inline>
   <fo:inline  font-family="Caldara">E</fo:inline>
   <fo:inline  font-family="'Century Gothic'">3=81=82</fo:inline>

Obviously, either this or the original example from Benson cannot be
achieved with current means (unless you add some rather prolific XSLT
2.0 preprocessing, i.e., give it a list of fonts and do the selection
strategy in the earlier processing step, using some home-brewed
extension functions, which could be a possible alternative while waiting
for the implementation).

Cheers,
Abel