The missing class can be found in batik-all-1.7.jar in FOP 0.95 version, so make sure it is available. Put it somewhere fop.jar is or to Tomcat's lib folder.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Ville Mattila <ville.j.mattila@gmail.com> wrote:
Andreas & others,

2010/1/6 Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delmelle@telenet.be>:
> If you want to avoid JVM warmup, which probably represents about 80% of the mentioned 10 seconds (if not more), then by far the easiest solution is to familiarize yourself with the servlet concept.
>
> There is an example servlet that is distributed with FOP, in package org.apache.fop.servlet.
> Deploy this in an Apache Tomcat container, and start up Tomcat. If all goes well, you can then send simple HTTP requests to the port that Tomcat is running on to convert your XML to PDF.

This was surprisingly easy! I got this almost working in about 45
minutes from the scratch. However, I had to build FOP from the sources
even I earlier used Ubuntu package and still have some problems with
SVG images (described in the end of this message).

I had some problems with the permissions, however for development
purposes I just added following three lines to my
/etc/tomcat6/policy.d/50local.policy:

grant {
 permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

I have to later find out which exact permissions are needed and how
can I give them only for the /fop/fop application. At this time, this
is not an issue.

But the PDF generation was superquick! Fiddler2 shows a very
satisfying "Overall Elapsed: 00:00:00.1240000" for my one request
including all the network and HTTP protocol overhead (in the same
local network though). The same process that took command line almost
5 seconds... ;)

However, not to be too satisfied, I found out that SVG files causes
the example servlet to crash:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/batik/dom/svg/SVGOMDocument
       org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SVGDOMImplementation.createDocument(Unknown Source)

Fixing this may be trivial for all Tomcat and Java gurus, but as it's
my first time I touch that very technology, I can't do very much with
this. As said, the command line (from my Ubuntu fop package) worked
fine with SVG too, so this is propably an error in my tomcat or in my
custom build (that I just made with ant command).

Any advice is more than appreciated! =)

Best regards,
Ville