From Jonathan Levinson <Jonathan.Levin...@intersystems.com>
Subject RE: Rendering 12,000 pages
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 19:58:49 GMT
FYI, I ran the customer's sample data with FOP, and even though the data was complex involving
nested sub-tables, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux with 64-bits, and 8 Gig of real memory (and
19 Gig of swap space), I was able to render a 3,415 page document.  There was no table of
contents or indices, no forward or back pointers.  Essentially two pages were repeated over
and over with different data from the XML file.  So this might be an ideal case of printing
something large.

I am proposing to the customer that they split and recombine - given that their data is so
repetitive.  They aren't formatting a technical manual with every page having completely different
content.  They are filling in tables from repetitive data.

Best Regards,
Jonathan Levinson

-----Original Message-----
From: Miroslav Pukhalsky [mailto:miroslav@dekasoft.com.ua]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:31 AM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rendering 12,000 pages

Hello all,

On 01.03.2010 22:33, Gregory Buchenberger wrote:
> I have a client that is creating up to 7,000 pages in a single page
> sequence. The PDF's also contain images. They are allowing about
> Xmx1500m for the JVM and it is working.

It depends... I have a client that is creating only 750 pages with
images. But FOP gets 8 Gigs RAM during build - too many cross-links,
page numbers and a few TOCs. OS is Gentoo Linux.

Job splitting is a good idea. You can make standalone application which
makes a few small document parts and "glues" its after.

Regards,

Miroslav.