From Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com>
Subject Re: Font Cascade
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:42:32 GMT
On 03/04/2010 09:51 PM, JoshC wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to output a PDF that has both English and Korean characters,
> sometimes both within the same paragraph. I was told by a coworker that you
> could use a "cascade" of fonts like you do in CSS, something like the
> following:
>
> <fo:block font-family="Batang, Arial, sans-serif, Symbol, ZapfDingbats">
>
> However, this doesn't seem to work. FOP only seems to use the first font
> listed. If I use the above font-family list it will still print out English
> characters, but they look odd. If I list Arial first, it will print out
> English, but not Korean. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do
> this? I'm not sure what the point is of listing more than one font when FOP
> only seems to use the first one listed.

Cascading doesn't mean that the first font which supports a given
character is used, but that the first font that exists is used. So, as
long as Arial exists, it will be used, even if it doesn't include glyphs
for a specific codepoint.

You could try using the Arial Unicode font, which has a broader support
for characters, although the license might prohibit using it.

You could also try a free font with better Unicode support, such as
http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/ (an excellent font, with serif,
sans-serif and monotype variants),

--
Sergiu Dumitriu