From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with font embedding in the fop-trunk?
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:21:14 GMT
Jonathan Levinson wrote:

Hi,

> A colleague reports that documents generated using the fop-trunk are
> much larger than documents generated using fop-0.95.
>

> “Using the same xml & xsl, with FOP-0.95 I get a file size of 785kb, but
> using the fop trak version with your fop.xconf file, I get a file size
> of 7.6mb. This has to be due to embedding fonts I think.”

I wonder what output format your colleague is generating. At a guess I
would say AFP, but fonts are embedded by default in PS and PDF in 0.95
anyway. AFP is the only output where font embedding was introduced in
trunk to be more consistent with PDF and PS.

> We have tried turning off font-embedding in the fop-trunk by using a
> fop.xconf file with the following:
>

>       <fonts>
>
>          <auto-detect/>
>

>          <referenced-fonts>
>
>             <match font-family=".*"/>
>
>          </referenced-fonts>
>
>     </fonts>
>

> Is the above enough to turn off embedding fonts in the fop-trunk?  Are
> there currently bugs in this area in the fop-trunk?

The referenced-fonts element need to appear as a child of a fonts
element at the top of the fop.xconf and not a fonts element which is a
child of a Renderer.

Thanks,

Chris