From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: table cell margins inherit from parents?
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:40:20 GMT
On 10 Mar 2010, at 22:06, Arian wrote:

Hi Arian

> This kinda threw me off,
> I set a margin on a block that contains a table... then i noticed all
> the cells took on the same left margin of the parent.
> Is this inheritance behavior correct?, it seems like the wrong
> behavior for a table cell... (like in css this margin inheritance
> wouldnt happen, so not sure why xsl-fo would want it)

The short answer would be: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/IndentInheritance

What this comes down to is that the margin-* properties --that exist solely for purposes of
compatibility with CSS-- are mapped to the native XSL-FO properties *-indent. While the former
are non-inherited, their native XSL-FO counterparts most certainly are.

As pointed out on the Wiki, most implementations choose to ignore this, while FOP follows
XSL-FO more strictly and forces you to use a configuration setting to trigger the CSS-like
behavior.

See also: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/configuration.html#general-elements
(look for element 'break-indent-inheritance')

That said, solving it by resetting start-indent to 0 on the fo:table would probably be the
cleanest, from an XSL-FO point of view.

Regards,

Andreas
---