From Brad Smith <usernamenum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: Alternatives to "float" graphics?
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:57:18 GMT
It's actually not a problem with margins per se. Remember that the
solution I was working on involved creating a template for <section>
that caused it to be rendered as a two-column table, the left column
for an optional icon, and the right for the section content. The
problem arises when a nested section is rendered, because it creates a
nested table, so this:

<section role="something">
  S1 content
  <section role="somethingelse">
    S2 content
  </section>
</section>

renders as:

==============================
|                 |                                 |
|   S1 icon   |        S1 content          |
|                 |                                 |
|----------------------------------------------------
|           |                 |                     |
|           |   S2 icon   |   S2 content   |
|           |                 |                     |
==============================

When what I want is:

==============================
|                 |                                 |
|   S1 icon   |        S1 content          |
|                 |                                 |
|----------------------------------------------------
|                 |                                 |
|   S2 icon   |        S2 content          |
|                 |                                 |
==============================

So what I'm looking for is either a way to specify margin graphics
without creating an artificial margin with tables, or to define the
content of a cell in a "top-level" table from the template for an
arbitrarily deep section. Maybe there's a simple xslt trick for doing
this, but so far I haven't found it.

Thanks for all the help so far!
--Brad

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Arian <armyofda12mnkeys@gmail.com> wrote:
> not sure if this is related but heres what Andreas told me before as i
> was wondering also why left margins/indents in my document seemed to
> be inherited if its helps out ...
>
> "What this comes down to is that the margin-* properties --that exist
> solely for purposes of compatibility with CSS-- are mapped to the
> native XSL-FO properties *-indent. While the former are non-inherited,
> their native XSL-FO counterparts most certainly are.
>
> As pointed out on the Wiki, most implementations choose to ignore
> this, while FOP follows XSL-FO more strictly and forces you to use a
> configuration setting to trigger the CSS-like behavior.
>
> See also: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/configuration.html#general-elements
> (look for element 'break-indent-inheritance')
>
> That said, solving it by resetting start-indent to 0 on the fo:table
> would probably be the cleanest, from an XSL-FO point of view.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas"
>
> -Arian

~ Second Shift: An original, serialized audio adventure ~
            http://www.secondshiftpodcast.com