From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFFunction Type 3 Stitching function
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 07:13:04 GMT
Hi Clifton,
the type 3 stitching function in PDF is not what you believe it is. It
is used for color transformation, not for stitching multiple PDFs
together.

I have no problem generating 20k+ pages PDF documents with FOP as long
as I separate individual subdocuments by fo:page-sequence. There can be
problems if your individual page-sequences get very large. You may want
to search the mailing list archives for "OutOfMemoryError" to get lots
of tips to handle these situations.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#OutOfMemoryException
http://fop-users.markmail.org/search/?q=OutOfMemoryError#query:OutOfMemoryError%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+state:facets

You may also want to look at the new intermediate format available in
FOP Trunk which can help to concatenate multiple documents:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/intermediate.html

HTH

On 28.05.2010 22:40:46 Clifton B. Sothoron Jr. wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> We are experimenting with Apache FOP to generate PDF. We would like to
> create large PDF's. Memory usage is becoming an issue. In the past with
> other PDF toolkits we have resorted to stitching various PDF's together
> in order to avoid running out of memory.  There is mention in the
> org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFFunction documentation of stitching functions.
> What do these functions do?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
>                                                  Clifton Sothoron

Jeremias Maerki