From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Page numbering help
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 10:29:47 GMT
Hi Lea,

I believe you can’t do without a two-pass solution. The following may
work: you put the second ‘main’ page-sequence right after the first one,
so that it’s properly numbered. You put the ‘officers’ page-sequence
last, as it’s independently numbered anyway, and that won’t prevent the
page-number-citation from working.

Then in a post-processing stage you ‘just’ need to move the pages
corresponding to the second ‘main’ page-sequence to the end of the
document. You should be able to automatise that by using FOP’s
intermediate format:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/intermediate.html
You would have to manipulate the XML tree a bit, and then render it into
the final format (e.g., PDF).

HTH,
Vincent

Lea Farmer wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the swift response.
>
> Here's the layout master set:
>
> <fo:layout-master-set>
>    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="main" page-height="11.69in" page-width="8.27in"
margin="0.50in">
>       <fo:region-body margin-top="0.75in" margin-bottom="0.75in" column-count="1"
column-gap="0.50in" />
>       <fo:region-after extent="0.50in" padding-before="0"/>
>    </fo:simple-page-master>
>
>    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="officers">
>      <fo:region-body margin-top="0.75in" margin-bottom="0.75in" column-count="1" column-gap="0.50in"
/>
>      <fo:region-after extent="0.50in" padding-before="0"/>
>    </fo:simple-page-master>
> </fo:layout-master-set>
> I'm then specifying the page-sequences as follows
>
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="main" initial-page-number="auto" format="1" force-page-count="no-force">
>    ....  some data
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="officers" initial-page-number="1" force-page-count="no-force"
format="a">
>    ....  some data
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="main" initial-page-number="auto" format="1">
>    ....  some data
>
> in the attempt to see if master-reference="main" kept a reference on what the last page
was on the previous 'main' sequence (more of a shot in the dark :)

> I reference the page numbers in the following way for the "main" sequences.
>
> // This creates the 1,2,3,4,5,6
> <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
> <fo:block>
>    <fo:inline font-weight="bold"><xsl:text>Page: </xsl:text></fo:inline><fo:page-number
font-weight="bold"/>
> </fo:block>
> </fo:static-content>
>
> On the last part of the first "main" sequence I place a <fo:block id="endOfOfficers"></fo:block>
element.

> I then reference the page numbers within the "officers" sequence in the following way:
>
> // This creates the 3a,3b,3c,3e,3f etc
> <fo:block>
>     <fo:inline font-weight="bold"><xsl:text>Page: </xsl:text></fo:inline>
>     <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="endOfOfficers"/><fo:page-number/>
> </fo:block>
>
> I think I could fix it if I could pass in the <fo:page-number-citation ref-id into
the next page-sequence initial-page-number value, but don't know how too.

> Would this have to be done within a two pass solution?  And if so how would I get that
value?

> If a more complete example is needed I can mail directly.  Thanks for your help.

> How are you determining and displaying the page number?
> We'd need to see some code (xml,xsl,fo) to determine why it isn't working or how it should
work.
> There shouldn't be any issues if you're writing the values of each page to your xml and
setting the page numbers into tag values.

for the start value (ie g = 7)  so I get:

> 1,2,3,3a,3b,3c,3d,3e,3f,7,8,9,10,11
>
> The problem is I cannot guarantee that the sub sections will always start on page 3,
and the number of subsections a,b,c are very likely to change on each document created?

> I'm sure there's a neat solution, but I cant see the wood for the trees at the mo :)
>

> This message and any attachments are intended for the persons named as addressees only
and may contain confidential information. In addition they may be protected by copyright.

> If you receive it in error, notify us, delete it and do not make use of or copy it. You
must not copy, disseminate or otherwise distribute or
> publish this message, except for the purposes for which this message is intended, without
our consent.

> Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is
not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and accept this lack
of security when e-mailing us.

www.companieshouse.gov.uk ( http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/ ).

), a service from Websense ( http://www.websense.com/ )