From "Lea Farmer" <LFar...@companieshouse.gov.uk>
Subject Re: Page numbering help
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 11:40:21 GMT
Hi Vincent,

That has worked a treat.

By using the intermediate format I have been able to re-order the page
sequence elements so that the sub section is in the correct place.

Thanks for all your help !!

>>> Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert@gmail.com> 20/05/2010 11:29 >>>
Hi Lea,

I believe you can’t do without a two-pass solution. The following may
work: you put the second ‘main’ page-sequence right after the first
one,
so that it’s properly numbered. You put the ‘officers’ page-sequence
last, as it’s independently numbered anyway, and that won’t prevent
the
page-number-citation from working.

Then in a post-processing stage you ‘just’ need to move the pages
corresponding to the second ‘main’ page-sequence to the end of the
document. You should be able to automatise that by using FOP’s
intermediate format:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/intermediate.html
You would have to manipulate the XML tree a bit, and then render it
into
the final format (e.g., PDF).

HTH,
Vincent

Lea Farmer wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the swift response.
>
> Here's the layout master set:
>
> <fo:layout-master-set>
>    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="main" page-height="11.69in"
page-width="8.27in" margin="0.50in">
>       <fo:region-body margin-top="0.75in" margin-bottom="0.75in"
column-count="1" column-gap="0.50in" />
>       <fo:region-after extent="0.50in" padding-before="0"/>
>    </fo:simple-page-master>
>
>    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="officers">
>      <fo:region-body margin-top="0.75in" margin-bottom="0.75in"
column-count="1" column-gap="0.50in" />
>      <fo:region-after extent="0.50in" padding-before="0"/>
>    </fo:simple-page-master>
> </fo:layout-master-set>
> I'm then specifying the page-sequences as follows
>
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="main" initial-page-number="auto"
format="1" force-page-count="no-force">
>    ....  some data
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="officers" initial-page-number="1"
force-page-count="no-force" format="a">
>    ....  some data
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="main" initial-page-number="auto"
format="1">
>    ....  some data
>
> in the attempt to see if master-reference="main" kept a reference on
what the last page was on the previous 'main' sequence (more of a shot
in the dark :)

> I reference the page numbers in the following way for the "main"
sequences.

> // This creates the 1,2,3,4,5,6
> <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
> <fo:block>
>    <fo:inline font-weight="bold"><xsl:text>Page:
</xsl:text></fo:inline><fo:page-number font-weight="bold"/>
> </fo:block>
> </fo:static-content>
>
> On the last part of the first "main" sequence I place a <fo:block
id="endOfOfficers"></fo:block> element.

> I then reference the page numbers within the "officers" sequence in
the following way:

> // This creates the 3a,3b,3c,3e,3f etc
> <fo:block>
>     <fo:inline font-weight="bold"><xsl:text>Page:
</xsl:text></fo:inline>
>     <fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="endOfOfficers"/><fo:page-number/>
> </fo:block>
>
> I think I could fix it if I could pass in the
<fo:page-number-citation ref-id into the next page-sequence
initial-page-number value, but don't know how too.

> Would this have to be done within a two pass solution?  And if so how
would I get that value?

> If a more complete example is needed I can mail directly.  Thanks for
your help.

> How are you determining and displaying the page number?
> We'd need to see some code (xml,xsl,fo) to determine why it isn't
working or how it should work.
> There shouldn't be any issues if you're writing the values of each
page to your xml and setting the page numbers into tag values.

last page sequence for the start value (ie g = 7)  so I get:

> 1,2,3,3a,3b,3c,3d,3e,3f,7,8,9,10,11
>
> The problem is I cannot guarantee that the sub sections will always
start on page 3, and the number of subsections a,b,c are very likely to
change on each document created?

> I'm sure there's a neat solution, but I cant see the wood for the
trees at the mo :)

> This message and any attachments are intended for the persons named
as addressees only and may contain confidential information. In addition
they may be protected by copyright.

> If you receive it in error, notify us, delete it and do not make use
of or copy it. You must not copy, disseminate or otherwise distribute
or
> publish this message, except for the purposes for which this message
is intended, without our consent.

> Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that
Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise
that you understand and accept this lack of security when e-mailing us.

please see our website www.companieshouse.gov.uk (
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/ ).

http://www.mailcontrol.com/ ), a service from Websense (
http://www.websense.com/ )